Thursday, June 2, 2016

SSSSSUUUUURRRRPPPPRRRIIISSSEEEEE

     On February 28, 2016, our traditional Sunday morning scramble immediately halted. As I went down to get the spare gallon of milk, something unusual caught my eye: A lot of cows standing all together. There are only two times this behavior is exhibited: 1.When a predator is in the pasture, the calves and yearlings go in the middle and the adult cows go around the outside so that they can protect them. 2. During calving time, right after the calf is born and all the other cows want to meet the newborn.
     Knowing we did not have any cows due until May or June, this behavior was weird. As my eyes focused, I saw a newborn calf trying to use its new legs. Forgetting the milk, I ran upstairs with the news! At first my family did not believe me, and they thought the same thing I did. After further investigation, the good news was confirmed: We had a new baby.
   Going out to further check out the situation, I got close enough to see an ear tag on the mama: Number 30, Little Orphan Annie, who is not so little anymore. WHAT?????? How had this happened?
     During the summer, one-year-old Annie was still nursing on our milk cow Eleanor. She was too old to be doing this, so we separated them, but the only place for her was with the steers and bulls. Okay, well, year old calfs can't get pregnant so it shouldn't matter!!! NEWS FLASH: Yeah, they absolutely can, and that is how little baby Pepper was born.






This is not Pepper's mom this is one of last years calfs named Hepsibah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment